If you are a small business wondering if you need a website, here’s the answer – Yes!
A website levels the playing field between you and your larger competitors. A professional, well-designed small business website is the face of your company to online users. When looking at your website, a customer can’t tell if you have a staff of 500 or 5. A small gift shop in Cape Cod selling sea shell wreaths can compete on an even footing with Land’s End (who also sells sea shell wreaths!).
Here are six tips to creating an online presence for your small business:
- Before you begin, take a look at other websites in your industry. What do you like, what do you not like. What do your competitors do well? What could you do better? Make a list and plan to address those items on your own site.
- When customers access your website, the first thing they want to know is who you are and what you do. Your site colors, fonts, and graphics should mirror the industry you are in and the products you sell. A brief description of what you do should be the first text that customers notice on your home page.
- Make sure your website looks professional and attractive, not cluttered. Take the time to plan your site. Draw it out on paper and decide on labels, menu options and navigation structure. Each page on your site may have different content, but every page should look the same and have the same main menu and options available.
- Craft your content. Include only relevant information and make sure that information is free of typos, jargon, and grammatical errors. You want to encourage confidence and build trust with your customers. Take the time to think about what you want to say and then make sure you say it well. Also, make sure your site contains more than product descriptions. A blog or newsletter is a great way to add a personal touch and give a “face” to your company.
- Determine what keywords you customers will use when searching for your products. Effective Search Engine Optimization (SEO) will give your website a higher ranking, the best way for customers to find you.
- Include a map. Make sure that it’s easy for local customers to find you. Google provides a very easy tool that will help customers pinpoint your location.
At Design Web, we create custom websites that are tailored to fit your unique business and customers. Our design approach is aimed at creating responsive sites that are easy to use and navigate across a range of devices. We specialize in perfecting every aspect of your online presence and image. We hope you’ll take the time to explore our website and contact us. We would be happy to share our knowledge and expertise to help you create the optimal website for your company.